Thursday 31 May 2012

Life on the Home Front

Just a quick entry today, because I've found something that amused me. Considering the Scots were the only people in 1513 really capable of mounting an invasion of English soil, it seems the threat from the North wasn't taken too seriously in some quarters (particularly those quarters in the South, it must be noted)

Letter from Catherine of Aragon to Wolsey:


At Richmond, 13 day of August [1513]

Master Almoner,

I received both your letter and am very glad to hear how well the king passed his dangerous passage, the Frenchmen being present. [Reference to Henry's recent invasion of France]

Ye be not so busy with the war as we be here encumbered with it. All his subjects be very glad, I thank God, to be busy with the Scots, for they take it for a pastime. My heart is very good to it, and I am horribly busy with making standards, banners, and badges.

Katharina the Qwene

No comments:

Post a Comment